From 15 Aug 2023, the government of Vietnam decided to extend the duration of stays in Vietnam from 15 to 45 days for citizens of 13 countries who are unilaterally exempted from visas by Vietnam.
These countries are Germany, France, Italy, Spain, the U.K., Northern Ireland, Russia, Japan, South Korea, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Belarus. Citizens of these countries are allowed to stay for 45 days from the time of entry, regardless of passport type and entry purpose.
For trips less than 15 days, citizens of the United Kingdom can enter Vietnam without a visa. Upon their arrival, visa requirements state that a British traveler must have their UK passport on hand, and their passport must be valid for six months after their arrival date.
For trips greater than 15 days, UK citizens will have to apply for a Vietnam visa. For many visa types, UK citizens can obtain a visa on arrival. However, they must first apply online for their visa on arrival to ensure a smooth entry into Vietnam.
Applying for a Vietnam visa on arrival online
British citizen visa requirements for Vietnam state that UK citizens who wish to stay for more than 15 days must obtain a visa. To apply online for a visa on arrival, UK travelers need to complete the following steps:
- Visit our online Vietnam visa application for British Citizens.
- Submit the online application form for your visa on arrival.
- After arriving at one of Vietnam’s visa on arrival airports, get your Vietnam visa stamped at the immigration counter.
British travelers must arrive by air to receive a visa on arrival. Vietnam International airports that participate in the visa on arrival program include Ha Noi, Ho Chi Minh City, Nha Trang, and Da Nang.
How to help ensure a successful Vietnam visa application
When completing their online application for a Vietnam visa, British citizens can take several steps to help ensure that their application is successful. To help avoid visa denials, British citizens should follow the checklist below:
- Travelers must enter their name exactly how it appears on their passport. The order of each traveler’s first and last name does not matter. Any order is fine.
- Travelers must list the nationality of their passport that they use to enter Vietnam as the nationality on their application form.
- Travelers must enter their date of birth in the DD/MM/YY format.
- Travelers must enter their passport number exactly as it appears in their passport. Errors with the passport number frequently cause delays.
- Travelers must bring passport photos with them for their arrival in Vietnam.
Also, on the visa on the arrival application form, UK travelers will need to submit their intended arrival and departure gates. Travelers should be aware of the impact of their submitted arrival and departure dates. While they can enter Vietnam after their listed arrival date, they must leave the country by their listed departure date. Also, the Vietnam visa cost UK citizens must pay varies with the type of visa the traveler needs.
Travel ideas for UK citizens vacationing in Vietnam
British travelers to Vietnam will quickly realize that there are many more places to see in Vietnam than they can get to in just 15 days. To help plan a trip to Vietnam, check out our guides on popular Vietnam travel destinations, including Ho Chi Minh City and Halong Bay. Other popular Vietnam travel destinations include Hoi An and Hoa Lu in Ninh Binh.
Also, traveling to Vietnam can be either inexpensive or extremely costly, depending on how a person wishes to travel. To get a better idea about the cost of a trip to Vietnam, check out our guide on Vietnam vacation costs. Budget travelers should check out our guide on the seven best places to backpack in Vietnam.
Take your first step in applying for a Vietnam visa as a British citizen
To apply for a visa, get started with our online application form. For further assistance, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our hotline at +84 832 320 320 with any questions on applying for a Vietnam visa online. We look forward to having you in Vietnam!