France and Vietnam share a rich history, and Vietnam is becoming an increasingly popular vacation destination for French citizens. Vietnam is the only Asian country that is a member of the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie, which is a group of countries with a significant number of French-speakering people. While Vietnam obtained independence in 1954, the country still holds significant French influences in language, cuisine, and architecture.
French tourists traveling to Vietnam need a Vietnam visa to enter the country. Know that Vietnam visas on arrival are only an option for French citizens who arrive by air at one of Vietnam’s participating airports. Airports in Hanoi, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh City, and Nha Trang participate in Vietnam’s visa-on-arrival program.
French travellers should be mindful of policy changes due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Before the recent public health crisis, French citizens did not need a visa for single-entry trips under 15 days. French citizens could re-enter Vietnam on a new visa-exempt trip once every 30 days. However, French citizens now need a visa for all trips to Vietnam, even trips under 15 days. Please note that this policy change is only temporary, and visa exemptions for French citizens will likely resume later this year.
How to apply for a Vietnam visa for French citizens
To help French citizens obtain a Vietnam visa, we detail the process below. While French citizens can get a Vietnam visa on arrival, they can streamline the process by applying for their Visa online before their trip. To get a Vietnam visa, French travelers must complete the following steps:
- Visit our online Vietnam visa application for French citizens.
- Complete our application form online via our secure network.
- Receive a visa approval letter.
- Arrive at one of Vietnam’s participating international airports (Hanoi/ Da Nang/ Ho Chi Minh City/ Nha Trang).
- Receive your stamp and official Vietnam visa from Vietnam immigration.
The typical processing time for Vietnam visa applications is two working days. However, we encourage French citizens to apply for their Vietnam visa well before their departure date. It is important to leave time to spare, as we may encounter problems with your Vietnam visa application.
Application information for your Vietnam visa application as a French citizen
French citizens who travel to Vietnam must have a passport that is valid for six months after their intended date of arrival. Additionally, each traveler must have a blank page in their passport for their Vietnam visa stamp. To help ensure that French travelers submit complete Vietnam visa applications, we compiled a list of helpful tips for important details in your application. Please review the points below, and include each piece of information in your Vietnam visa application:
- Your name exactly as you find it in your passport. The order of your first and last name is not important.
- Your date of birth. In Vietnam, the standard format is DD/MM/YY;
- Your nationality. If you apply as a French citizen, you must arrive in Vietnam with your French passport.
- Your passport number. Make sure that the passport number you provide matches the number in your passport exactly. Incorrect passport numbers cause delays.
- Date of arrival. Make sure that your passport is valid for six months after your date of arrival. Also, know that you can arrive both on or after the date of arrival in your Vietnam visa application.
- Passport photos. You will need to provide a passport photo when you arrive in Vietnam before obtaining your Vietnam visa stamp.
For further assistance, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can call our hotline at +84 832 320 320. We are here to help you with all visa-related questions and concerns.
Travel tips for French citizens traveling to Vietnam
When traveling to a new country, encountering the unknown is part of the excitement. However, travelers should do some preparation before their trip in order to get the most out of their time abroad. Below, we aim to help you do just that with several travel tips and links to resources:
- French tourists in Vietnam will love Vietnamese cuisine. It is a delicious combination of Asian cuisine with classic French influences. Even though Vietnam is thousands of kilometers away from France, travelers will not have trouble locating a perfectly baked French baguette. Check out our guide to eating in Vietnam when planning your trip.
- Vietnam has a variety of landscapes, and regions have unique weather patterns. Depending on their itinerary, French tourists in Vietnam may need to pack different sets of clothing for each type of weather they will encounter. Take a look at our guide on the best times to visit Vietnam by region and our guide on how to pack for your trip to Vietnam.
- Getting acquainted with local customs and etiquette is an essential part of any trip abroad. Do not hold your chopstick straight up, and try to avoid standing with your arms crossed. Learn why in our ultimate guide to customs and etiquette in Vietnam.
- Lastly, know that French tourists can travel through Vietnam on a budget. Typically, backpackers in Vietnam can cover transportation, food, accommodation, and miscellaneous expenses for around just $40 to $50 per day. Learn more about budgeting for your trip in our ultimate guide to Vietnam vacation costs.
To read more travel tips and resources in preparation for your trip, check out our page on Vietnam travel tips for French tourists. You can also check out our location-specific travel guides for popular travel destinations in Vietnam. However, before you start planning your trip, get your Vietnam visa! You can apply for your Vietnam visa using our online Vietnam visa application for French citizens.