From 15 Aug 2023, the government of Vietnam decided to extend the duration of stays in Vietnam from 15 to 45 days for citizens of 13 countries who are unilaterally exempted from visas by Vietnam.
These countries are Germany, France, Italy, Spain, the U.K., Northern Ireland, Russia, Japan, South Korea, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Belarus. Citizens of these countries are allowed to stay for 45 days from the time of entry, regardless of passport type and entry purpose.
Vietnam is becoming an increasingly popular travel destination for German passport holders. German tourists can enjoy the sunshine, a warm climate, and a unique cuisine during their time in Vietnam. Most flights from Germany to Vietnam cost around 1,300 euros roundtrip. Popular flight routes between Germany and Vietnam include layovers in the Middle East via Doha or Abu Dhabi and also through Kuala Lumpur. Some German tourists extend their layovers to include a several night stay in Doha or Abu Dhabi, which both have growing tourism industries.
German citizens typically enjoy a visa exemption when they travel to Vietnam. This Vietnam visa exemption is valid for German citizens who stay in Vietnam for under 15 days with a single entry and exit. However, due to COVID-19, the Vietnam government has temporarily suspended all visa exemptions for German citizens. Now, all German citizens will need to apply for a Vietnam visa regardless of the duration of their trip.
How German citizens can apply for a Vietnam visa
German travelers can get a Vietnam visa on arrival if they travel through one of Vietnam’s participating international airports. However, while officials grant the visa at the airport, German travelers should apply for the Vietnam visa online before they travel. To apply for a Vietnam visa from Germany online, German travelers must complete the following steps:
- Navigate to our online Vietnam visa application.
- Submit an application form online via our secure network.
- Receive a Vietnam visa approval letter.
- Travel to one of Vietnam’s participating international airports (Hanoi/ Da Nang/ Ho Chi Minh City/ Nha Trang), and present a Vietnam visa approval letter.
We process Vietnam visa applications for German citizens in about two business days. We will let you know if there is any trouble with your visa application as soon as we find any issues. However, German citizens should apply for their Vietnam visa as soon as possible so that they leave enough time for any needed troubleshooting.
Vietnam visa requirements German citizens must follow
Before applying for a Vietnam visa, German travelers should make sure that their passports are valid for at least six months. That six-month minimum period must be from the tourist’s date of arrival in Vietnam to their passport’s expiry date. Also, be sure to leave a blank page for your new visa stamp.
We have compiled a list of guidelines for German citizens submitting a Vietnam visa application. Follow the guidelines below to ensure that your Vietnam visa application does not get rejected for missing data or data inaccuracies. If you are a German traveler to Vietnam, you must provide the following information to obtain a Vietnam visa:
- Your name exactly as it appears in your German passport. The order of your first and last name is not important. Just make sure that you include your full name with the exact spelling used in your passport.
- Your date of birth. In Vietnam, the standard date format is DD/MM/YY.
- Your nationality on your passport. If you state that your nationality is German, you must enter Vietnam with your German passport.
- Your passport number. Please make sure that you list your passport number exactly as you find it in your passport. Small mistakes here will cause a delay with your visa application.
- Date of arrival. German citizens can only enter Vietnam on or after the date of arrival that they list.
- Passport photos. You will need to provide passport photos when you arrive in Vietnam to pick up your Vietnam visa on arrival.
For further assistance applying for a Vietnam visa, please reach out to our friendly staff. You can email us: email@example.com or call our hotline at +84 832 320 320.
Travel tips for German citizens traveling to Vietnam
After you apply for your Vietnam visa online, check out our travel tips for German tourists in Vietnam. Vietnam is a diverse country with a lot to see and explore. Our travel tips for German travelers in Vietnam below can help you make the most out of your trip:
- Plan your itinerary well in advance of traveling to Vietnam. Planning will help you experience all you can while you are on your trip. Popular destinations in Vietnam include Hai Phong, Hoi An, and Can Tho.
- Part of planning your itinerary is making a list of Vietnamese cuisine that you want to try on your trip. Vietnamese cuisine is a unique blend of Asian cuisine and French cuisine from the country’s history as a French colony. Be sure to experience an authentic bowl of phở and with some hot gỏi cuốn roles. You can learn more about the country’s cuisine in our guide to eating in Vietnam.
- German tourists in Vietnam certainly enjoy the country’s sunshine and beaches. Vietnam has miles of coastline, and tourists can enjoy stretches of sand and beautiful water all to themselves. Check out our ultimate guide to Vietnam beaches to learn more.
- Know that German travelers can experience Vietnam on a budget. Food and accommodation are very affordable in Vietnam. To learn more about traveling in Vietnam on a budget, check out our ultimate guide to Vietnam vacation costs and our guide on backpacking Vietnam.
No matter what your itinerary is for your trip, you are sure to have a wonderful time in Vietnam. There are attractions for every type of traveler, and a trip to Vietnam does not have to break the bank!
Remember, we are here to help you with any visa-related needs for your trip to Vietnam. Applying for a visa is easy, and you can get started with our online Vietnam visa application for German citizens.